Thursday, January 2, 2014

Moving Forward (while reflecting back) + Seeing who's the GREATEST!

The Year 2014 is upon us!

Looking back at 2013 it can tend to feel as if I haven't made much progress.   I still long for the warm weather of SE Asia.  I miss my friends there and long for a heart to heart talk with some of them. I miss using the Lao language. I miss the feelings of belonging and fulfillment that came from a productive day of teaching, interacting with students and staff or simply making some headway on new curriculum.  I MISS THAT!  Aren't those feelings of loss suppose to lessen and life in America become normal? 

2013 started a new beginning for me.   A time of adjusting to the cold weather, finding a new job, finding new friends, and trying to find a place to belong and fulfillment in a new life.

Looking back at 2013 and what do I see -  
God is amazing!  So many details he's worked out for me.    Little teeny, tiny details that can often seem almost to small to even take to him - he cares! 

Here's a few of the many:
  • Searching for a job - discouraged/tears/ feeling that in Laos there is no lack of work so what in the world am I doing here, applying several places to no avail. Praying for a job where I actually feel needed - and behold on just the right day at just the right time I find just the right job!  
  • Looking for a place to live - Classes start June 10 and needing a place by then/finding the perfect place and making up my mind just a day or two too late, not once but twice/ and then finding yet another place.  This place must really be the PERFECT place for it has worked out nicely! 
  • Searching for job #2 near my new home and school - applying many places/searching out places/making phone calls/ feeling discouraged one Friday morning as I finally break down and decide to drop off my application at a fast food restaurant.   And then on my way 'just happening' to see and stop at one last motel along the way.   I never did make it to that restaurant.  I had a job the very next day.   
  • But - for the aforementioned job I needed a plain black skirt - Dreading the search/these things can be a pain to find when you actually need them/knowing I might be all over town before the day is out in search of the skirt but /saying a prayer before entering the first store.  Amazingly walking out of the very same store with the black skirt!   Does God care about little things?   I THINK SO!!!
  • Waking up sad/longing for the good old friend to have a good talk/tears/missing/dreading my evening out with a new friend whom I don't know well.  God used that new friend to really bless me above and beyond my expectations!  
  • Someone to bless me by paying 3 months of rent! 
  • Helping me pass (with good grades) 7 classes!  I am humbled!  God gave me a brain and abilities, God have me this opportunity to learn He expects me to use it!  

 Have I made progress?  It is a little hard to say.  I'm still cold a lot.  I still miss my friends.  I still often feel like I haven't really found my place to fit in and be fulfilled in America.

But who's to say what is true progress.   What I really want is to know Jesus better.  I've really been thinking about what my relationship with him means and what walking/living/being in the Spirit really means. 

So for 2014 - My desire is to continue learning to know Jesus - continue being led in very real ways by the Holy Spirit.

I'm excited about how He will work in 2014! 



1 comment:

  1. Love this, friend! He is so faithful!!! I may end up in Virginia for a year -- can I see you, a LOT? :-)

    ReplyDelete

Random Thoughts and Questions on Prayer

Here's something I've been thinking about for a couple of months now. I guess I will go ahead and get it off of my chest.  I...