Tuesday, March 18, 2014

A Few Thoughts on The Church

Having made a flying attempt and only making it halfway through the book of Acts I have uncovered some positive thoughts on the meaning of Church. 

What are some reasons for church? (in no particular order, and by no means an exclusive list)

1.  Drawing others to Jesus
Over and over and over throughout the book of Acts the apostles are constantly turning the people's/congregation's attention back to Jesus.  They wanted it to be clear that Jesus was the one getting attention. 
Sometimes I wonder have I lost my excitement for Jesus?  
Am I trying to bring Him to others attention or am I so focused on myself that I forget about Jesus?  

2.  Prayer for each other in times of distress
When Paul was in prison the church was praying for him.  Acts 12:5  
When the church prayed things happened.  Acts 12:12-14 The house was packed with praying friends.  
If I'm in trouble I'd like to have that kind of support group behind me. 

3.  Encouragement
Acts 13:42-43  "As the meeting broke up, a good many Jews and converts to Judaism went along with Paul and Barnabas, who urged them in long conversations to stick with what they'd started, this living in and by God's grace." 
Acts 14:21-22  "urging them to stick with what they had begun to believe and not quit, making it clear to them that it wouldn't be easy:  Anyone signing up for the kingdom of God has to go through plenty of hard times."  
Yeah, it's always better to have believer around to encourage us.  When things get hard we might give up if we are alone but with encouragement it's a lot easier to stick with what we have started.   
I'm so grateful for the times that I've gotten encouragement from other believers. 
4.  Rejoicing together
After Peter's prayed for release from prison, once the praying friends finally realized that he was free and standing before them Acts 12:16 says: "Finally they opened up and saw him - and went wild! (the message) 
We struggle together, we pray together, let's rejoice together! 
 
5.  Waiting and fasting together for guidance
Acts 13:2 (the message) - "One day as they were worshiping God - they were also fasting as they waited for guidance" 

Now other versions of this verse did not use the word "wait" but I kinda like it there.  I like the idea of having people worshiping God and waiting together for guidance.  It sometimes seems like I do a lot of 'waiting for guidance' alone, but maybe that's because I fear sharing my need for guidance.   
Now a lot more could be said about this verse. There's also the fasting and the worshiping that could  be talked about extensively and here I am pulling out the waiting.   
I'm just saying - it get's lonely when waiting by yourself so why not wait collectively.  Whether it be for guidance in choosing missionaries (as was happening in these particular verses) or guidance for living life.
 
6.  Sending Missionaries
Again from Acts 13.  After worshiping, fasting, and waiting for guidance they chose Barnabas and Saul and commissioned them for the work to which they were called.  

7.  Sharing what God has done
Acts 14:27-28 After returning from their trip "On arrival, they got the church together and reported on their trip, telling in detail how God had used them to throw the door of faith wide open so people of all nations could come streaming in.   Then they settled down for a long, leisurely visit with the disciples."  
I like that.  We all have stories.  Maybe we should listen to each others stories more often. Or maybe it's just me that needs to shut up and listen! 
 
8.  Helping the greater body of Christians
Acts 11:27-30 - there was going to be a famine "So the disciples decided that each of them would send whatever they could to their fellow Christians in Judea to help out.  They sent Barnabas and Saul to deliver the collection to the leaders in Jerusalem." 

I'm not finished reading about the church yet.  I also have a paper to write on the church but I'm pretty much convinced that being part of The Church is a good thing.   So instead of being Bothered by Church I think maybe I should write on the Joys of Church someday.    
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Random Thoughts and Questions on Prayer

Here's something I've been thinking about for a couple of months now. I guess I will go ahead and get it off of my chest.  I...