Thursday, April 4, 2013

2 Things.... & 3rdly

Have you ever read Half the Sky by Nicholas Kristof & Sheryl WuDunn?  
Have you ever watched Hotel Rwanda?  

And 3rdly... Why do I mention these 2 things together?  

Half the Sky is about turning oppression into opportunity for women worldwide.
Hotel Rwanda is about the fighting between the Huto and the Tutsi tribes in Rwanda.    And I'll eventually get to the 3rdly thing if you allow me enough time.  

So if we're in agreement that women do indeed "hold up half the sky" as the Chinese proverb says, and if we have read the reports and know that many places in this world women are not viewed as equals, what are we going to do about it?  

Now for Hotel Rwanda, the one scene that has stuck in my head ever since that night Bethann and I sat down to watch this movie has been where the Hotel Manager was all excited because the American reporter was able to show some footage of the horror around them on the worldwide news.  

Now he thought they will be able to get some outside help.  

But the reporters response was--- that help was not necessarily on the way.   The people probably looked up from their dinner, saw the news said, "Wow, that's horrible" and went right back to eating. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Random Thoughts and Questions on Prayer

Here's something I've been thinking about for a couple of months now. I guess I will go ahead and get it off of my chest.  I...